Translate

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Word Study Homework

Hello All!

As I mentioned in my email earlier this week, I wanted to explain Wednesday's and Thursday's Word Study homework in case it caused any confusion. I did explain this in class, but I know how things can get lost in translation between school and home!

Just a reminder that they should be doing word study each night. I saw several "blank" homework pages today!

Wednesday: "Pick Your Own Sort"
- Students should COME UP WITH a new way to sort their words - NOT the way they are already sorted.

For example, if I had words such as the list last week (long e, short e, long a, short a), instead of sorting them into vowel sounds I might sort them into spelling patterns. I.e.:

                        "ea" words                                "not ea words"
                            break                                         playground
                            read                                           believe

And so on. Another way could be to sort them by word type. I.e.:

                        compound words                        non-compound words
                           playground                                   basket
                           backpack                                      math

Etc. They could sort them by category (words that go together), rhyming... anything they can think of that makes sense with their words.


Thursday: "Pyramid Words" (only 8 of them!) 
(Preferably 8 words OTHER than the ones they did sentences for already!)

I had the class write an example of this in their notebook already. Pick 8 of their words, and write them in a pyramid shape like so:

                                   basket
                                       b
                                     b  a
                                    b a s
                                 b  a  s  k
                               b   a  s  k  e
                             b   a   s  k  e  t



Please let me know if you have further questions about this!


Reminders: 
- Science Test on Friday (Matter)
          *If you like to study ahead, our next unit will be SS - Famous Americans
- Columbus Day Monday - No School
- MONDAY school schedule on Tuesday, Oct. 11th
- October 17th PTA Meeting @ 6:30

Enjoy the rest of your week!
Hopefully FALL(ish) weather is here to stay...???